Data Breach Statistics That EVERYONE Should Know11 Mar
We hear about Data Security all the time. But what exactly is it? Data Security is the protection of data from accidental or intentional but unauthorized modification, destruction or disclosure through the use of physical security, administrative controls, logical controls, and other safeguards to limit accessibility.
Did you know that:
- 20% of Americans are victims of a data breach (Pew research)
- 65% of all Cyber attacks are of a criminal nature
- 42% of all Cyber attacks are Industry related, with eCommerce #1, and Finance in the top Five
- Malware remains the number one Cyber threat
- 58% of Data Breaches are caused by insiders
- Insider data breaches are increasing at a rate of 250% per year
With specific regard to the Financial Services Industry:
- Account Takeover Fraud growing at a rate of 69% annually
- ACH and Wire Fraud estimated to be near $800M by 2016
2014 Breach List Stats:
- 761 breaches recorded
- Up 23% from 2013
- 83 million data records exposed
- Up 45% from 2013
Bottom line – Take action now to protect your data. After all, the cost to prevent data breaches is far less than the cost of mitigation, resolution, and litigation.
Learn more about Neovera’s Cyber Security Services or contact us for a complimentary Cyber Security Assessment!